Have you found out that the person you loved never reciprocated your feelings? It’s challenging to accept the reality. But that’s how love works. You sometimes fall for someone who can’t be yours no matter what.
You might want to get over it. You may even hate the idea of love for the time being. Here is a collection of “I loved you, but you never loved me” quotes that will help you get through the dismal times and help heal your broken heart.
Sad you never loved me quotes
Sometimes, the person you like will never love you, regardless of your efforts. You must understand that making someone love you is not under your control. You don’t even get to choose who you love or hate.
Love comes unexpectedly and sometimes in vain, and it hurts. Even more, you wish for that person to at least pretend to care for you for a brief moment. You even blame God, asking why you both met if you can’t be together. Here are some heartbreaking “you never loved me” quotes.
1. “She loved him in a deep and singular way, almost as though God had crafted one heart in heaven, then split it between Holden’s body and hers, fating her to a never-ending longing to be with him, or a fractional life without him.” – Katy Regnery
2. “The knowledge that she would never be loved in return acted upon her ideas as a tide acts upon cliffs.” – Thornton Wilder, The Bridge of San Luis Rey
3. “She had the look in her eye when you kick and kick at the door and it doesn’t open when you write boy letters and letters and he never loves you, not ’til the day he dies. Not even then.” – Daniel Handler, The Basic Eight
4. “The fact is the man who’d begotten me didn’t want me. In his eyes, I should never have been born. And perhaps that would’ve been best. As it was, my existence had proven to be nothing more than a nuisance for everyone. I angered my father, brought strife upon my mother, irritated my teachers, and annoyed the other children forced to interact with me in school. All by simply being.” – Unknown
5. “It isn’t difficult to determine that someone doesn’t treasure you. It’s always there, popping out in every direction. It’s in the moments they don’t show up when they say they will, the times they don’t take a minute out of their days to let you know they won’t make it anymore.” – Elelwani Anita Ravhuhali
6. “Reasons I wish I knew why he left. What his reasons were. Why did he change his mind? For all these years, I have turned it over in my head—all the possibilities—yet none of them make any sense. And then I think, perhaps it was because he never loved me. But that makes the least sense of all.” – Lang Leave
7. “I was a very lonely child and it’s funny but the first word that comes to my head is “starved.” I felt starved of affection, starved of love and I felt that it wasn’t OK to ask for it. Maybe there was a sense that if I deserved it, it would be there. There must be something I’d done which meant I didn’t deserve it.” – Carol Lee
8. “The real horror of my life is not that I’ve killed some terrible people. The real horror is that the people I’ve loved didn’t love me back.” – Caroline Kepnes
9. “Listen, listen. I can explain. There’s a bad Ted underneath the good Ted, yes, but then, under that, there’s a Ted who’s good for real. But no one ever sees him; his whole life, no one ever has. Underneath it all, I’m just that kid who wanted nothing more than to be loved and didn’t know how to make it happen, even though I tried and tried and tried.” – Kristen Roupenian
10. “It’s hard to admit that someone doesn’t love you back. So, you hold on to them until you have no choice but to admit it.” – Unknown
Quotes on how you wish the person who says “I love you” really means it
You do feel ecstatic when a loved one declares their love for you. Do they always mean it, though? When they make claims, their actions frequently contradict them. Yes, the realization that they never truly loved you is heartbreaking.
They mistakenly consider their attachment or fantasy to be love. It may even bring grief if you are married and your husband or wife doesn’t love you. You keep hoping they mean what they say, but all it ever gets you is heartbrea. “Yes, I loved you, but you never loved me,” you’ll think after reading these quotes.
11. “I’d been blindsided with the most painful knowledge: the first man to ever say he loved me had never loved me at all.
His passion had been artificial.
His pursuit of me had been choreographed.” – Charlaine Harris
12. “You have never loved me. You have only thought it pleasant to be in love with me.” – Henrik Ibsen, A Doll’s House
13. “That’s when I finally got it. I finally understood. It wasn’t the thought that counted. It was the actual execution that mattered, the showing up for somebody. The intent behind it wasn’t enough. Not for me. Not anymore. It wasn’t enough to know that deep down, he loved me. You had to actually say it to somebody, show them you cared. And he just didn’t. Not enough.” – Jenny Han
14. “You say you’re madly in love with me. Yes, I can see the madness but no love. You don’t love me. You’re madly attached to a fantasized version of me that you’ve created in your head. You don’t speak to me. You talk to your fantasies.” – Shunya
15. “Sometimes, how someone doesn’t love you is documented all over your weariness, from being the one going the extra miles and never being met halfway.” – Elelwani Anita Ravhuhali
16. “Did you know you were my every morning thought? I wished to age with you. I wanted to be your other half. I gave you my all. I thought our love was true. But I guess some things are just out of our control. They can’t be avoided. Things like “you” and “me.” Who is to blame? You? The God? Who? Maybe I am the one to be blamed. For I hopelessly loved you and wished you would do the same. Would I have suffered less if I had asked you to leave?” – Unknown
17. “People always said true love is hard to find. But I often lived in denial, for I had found you. But at a point, I understood what they said was true. You never loved me. I was just a thing in your life you wanted. A thing that was hard for you to give up on.” – Unknown
18. “Today, I realized, You don’t care anymore. And then I realized, You probably never did anyway. And the saddest part of it all is that you made me believe you did.” – Unknown
Heartbreaking quotes about the person you love loving someone else
The worst aspect of being in love is witnessing the person you love loving someone else. It’s strange how life has a means of making you realize how challenging love is. And it hurts more if you are friends, the feeling of wanting the relationship to be something more, but you can’t admit it.
Remember that while you might not be someone’s first choice today, you will be someday. Instead of saying, “I loved you, but you never loved me,” you’ll say, “I found someone who loves me as much as I love them.”
19. “I knew he never loved me like he loved her, but I wanted him anyway. I knew his love for me was conditional, but I wanted him anyway. I knew I was second choice, but I wanted him anyway.” – Tarryn Fisher
20. “She is happy but maybe not for me. She is angry but maybe not for me. Who says she doesn’t have love? She has love but maybe not for me.” – Unknown
21. “The hardest part about seeing him happy with her is the realization he never loved me.” – Unknown
22. “Because nothing hurts more than knowing if the universe was ending in five minutes, I would call you to tell you I love you, but the line would be busy because you’d be on the phone with someone else.” – Unknown
Quotes about being hopelessly in love
The human heart is delicate, but it can survive on a ray of possibility for an extended time. When you truly love someone, even if deep down you know it’s not going to happen, you try to make it work. You give all of yourself, hoping your love will be reciprocated.
Someone you care about could care for you as well. But instead, you give up on everything for that person’s happiness only to receive nothing in return. These quotes about being hopelessly in love show how love can catch you off guard and how we are all puppets of our hearts.
23. “Ask me why I keep on loving you when it’s clear that you don’t feel the same way for me. The problem is that as much as I can’t force you to love me, I can’t force myself to stop loving you.” – Unknown
24. “You see,’ she concluded miserably, ‘when I can call like that to him across space–I belong to him. He doesn’t love me–he never will–but I belong to him.” – L.M. Montgomery, Emily’s Quest
25. “Did you think I was an easy girl? Maybe I was, for I was hopelessly in love with you. I avoided the reality that you never really loved me. I never minded how you treated me. It was hard knowing that I was just a thing for you to play with. A thing you would toss if you were bored. But I just lived for you. I did need you. I thought you would love me someday as I fell for you. Out of pity, at least! Maybe, I was just a fool expecting a monster to love me.” – Unknown
26. “No, I am not here to blame you, but the point is you never loved me. It showed in the manner you talked and treated me. You said I was your woman, but you never made me feel like one. I was always the girl who fell for you, a girl who gave you herself, but all you did was leave her heart in pieces. All she needed was tenderness, but all she got was grief.” – Unknown
Quotes about how you can sometimes find it bitterly sweet that someone doesn’t love you
Have you ever attempted to find beauty in hardships? That is absurd, right? Recognizing the beauty in heartache? You should be aware that the unfinished love story is the one that has the biggest impact out of the love stories that are fulfilled. Because it is sincere, it says a lot.
Here are a few quotes emphasizing how deep and genuine your love is.
27. “Perhaps someday I’ll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.” – Sylvia Plath
28. “Because, if you could love someone, and keep loving them, without being loved back… Then that love had to be real. It hurt too much to be anything else.” – Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly
29. “Aiden is such a beautiful dream, I’d rather invent a million excuses for his absence than accept he never felt the same about me.” – Lucy Alice
30. “Nadya Zelenin and her mother had returned from a performance of Eugene Onegin at the theatre. Going into her room, the girl swiftly threw off her dress and let her hair down. Then she quickly sat at the table in her petticoat and white bodice to write a letter like Tatyana’s. ‘I love you,’ she wrote, ‘but you don’t love me, you don’t love me!’
Having written this, she laughed. She was only sixteen and had never loved anyone yet. She knew that Gorny (an army officer) and Gruzdyov (a student) were both in love with her, but now, after the opera, she wanted to doubt their love. To be unloved and miserable: what an attractive idea! There was something beautiful, touching, and romantic about A loving B when B wasn’t interested in A. Onegin was attractive in not loving at all, while Tatyana was enchanting because she loved greatly. Had they loved equally and been happy they might have seemed boring.” – Anton Chekhov, After The Theatre
31. “He was my sweetest fantasy and my bitter reality.” – Luffina Lourduraj
Quotes on unrequited love
The worst kind of love is unreturned love. The yearning to feel loved, even for a moment. Though it isn’t always expressed, this is the kind of love that fills you with hope but crushes your soul. You want that person to understand your feelings. Even though you are hurting on the inside, holding back your tears, you keep loving them.
Here are some quotes on unrequited love that hurts.
32. “The sad part is not being able to do anything about it. It’s my compassion. Yet I have no control over how I feel. Nothing goes according to my volition. Love, you can spit out, at least. But when it’s one-sided, you have to swallow it and keep it in.” – Unknown
33. “How timid and delicate unrequited love is? Even though unrequited love finds its way in. It’s a love that gets trapped inside, unable to find a way out. I was the one who started it but without knowing a thing. If he leaves my sight one day. It’s a love that ends in vain, without it ever having a purpose. Never having had the chance to bud or bloom into a flower. A love that can never bear fruit, like a seed that is forgotten. This is unrequited love.” – Go Dok Mi
34. “When you’re still young, you don’t know how miraculous it is to start a relationship with someone who likes you back. I bet it’s only possible when the whole universe helps you out.” – Lovestruck In the City
35. “Yes, I was infatuated with you: I am still. No one has ever heightened such a keen capacity for physical sensation in me. I cut you out because I couldn’t stand being a passing fancy. Before giving my body, I must give my thoughts, mind, and dreams. And you weren’t having any of those.” – Sylvia Plath
36 “Only if you would understand at least half of my words. Only if you would know why I fell for you. Maybe we wouldn’t have had to part ways.” – Unknown
37. “There is nothing more painful in this world than to be in love with something that never can be.” – Laura Chouette
38. “And in the end, I said you would love me. We’re in the end and there’s only one of us here.” – Dominic Riccitello
39. “You make me feel like a firefly. Trapped in a bell jar; starved for love.” – Ayushee Ghoshal
Short you never loved me quotes
Sometimes a few words can sum up how you feel and the pain you have suffered. You might find solace in the following passages when things are challenging and you feel lost.
40. “Wait, he whispered. But she didn’t.” – Jay Kristoff
41. “I’ve never been the most important thing to anybody – not even myself.” – Ranata Suzuki
42. “You can’t nice your way to being loved.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
43. “There is nothing so mortifying as to fall in love with someone who does not share one’s sentiments.” – Georgette Heyer, Venetia
44. “The sun’s gone dim, and
The moon’s turned black;
For I loved him, and
He didn’t love back.”
– Dorothy Parker
45. “When you aren’t loved, you aren’t real. Life is cold, like the stone against my palm.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
46. “Have you ever felt like begging someone not to let you go, but deep down you’ve always known he doesn’t really care one way or the other if you’re there or not?” – Laarni Venus Mari
47. “He is a secret I now hold. For our love was something that went untold. I loved him like an ocean with roaring winds. But I guess he never loved me, I suppose.” – Conee Berdera
48. “I think I keep telling myself you never loved me at all because it is far less terrifying a prospect than the possibility you did, you truly did, but all of a sudden, and for no particular reason, you stopped.” – Beau Taplin
Quotes to uplift your mood
No wonder it has been very challenging for you to be in love with someone who turned you down. Here are some quotes to lift your spirits and help you move on. It takes time to heal a broken heart, so be gentle with yourself.
49. “Sometimes we find ourselves feeling unwanted or unloved. Remember, you were born of love. You are love. It exists inside you. That’s where it begins. When you know this, you will have a happier life.” – Unknown
50. “People say “Move on” and “Think about your happiness.” But that isn’t easy. Is it? Life is much more powerful than we can imagine. It doesn’t go according to our wish. We can’t choose whom we fall for. Nope that’s not up to us. Because the term ‘blinded in love’ occurred for some reason. Lol. How can someone think about their happiness when they are in love? Isn’t love supposed to be selfless? Thinking about thyself is the “most selfish” thing ever on this planet.
You might say he doesn’t love me back so why am I hurting myself sticking to it and expecting the unexpected to happen? Let me tell you this. Have you ever been in love? I don’t think so. Because if you did, you’d know loving someone immensely is the most beautiful thing in the universe. Even if it’s one-sided or has no future, but the peace you get thinking about them, the satisfaction of giving your purest love to them is enough for you to live happily ever after.” – Shehrin Odri
51. “The feelings that hurt most, the emotions that sting most, are those that are absurd – The longing for impossible things, precisely because they are impossible; nostalgia for what never was; the desire for what could have been; regret over not being someone else; dissatisfaction with the world’s existence. All these half-tones of the soul’s consciousness create in us a painful landscape, an eternal sunset of what we are.” – Fernando Pessoa
52. “No matter how bad you want a person, if your hearts are in two different places, you’ll have to pass and move on.”– Alexandra Elle
Like the many life lessons you have learned, you might have figured out that the game of love is challenging. Everyone goes through a fair share of heartbreaks. Nobody knows how often you tried to put broken pieces back together or how many times you’ve sobbed while trying to figure out what went wrong.
Life does not have to end when love and relationships do. It is important to remember that there is nothing wrong with feeling vulnerable. Use these sayings to express your sadness; one day, the pain will fade. Have faith in the universe. One day you’ll get the love you deserve when you least expect it.