The last thing you’d want after a long and tiring day is to find your partner unresponsive or uninterested in you. And yet, sometimes we all forget to ask this simple question, “How was your day?” Don’t wait until your boyfriend asks you about your day; ask him first and show that you genuinely care about him.
Here you will find the list of alternatives to the simple “How was your day?” question that will open up opportunities for conversation and strengthen your relationship.
Why asking “How was your day?” is important
Asking your boyfriend, “How was your day?” signals to him that you are interested in his life, his daily experiences, and his emotional reactions to these. Showing that you are invested in his wellbeing is an essential gesture in a loving, respectful, and healthy relationship.
Asking him, “How was your day?” is a loving and caring thing to do in a relationship. However, if this question is repeated every evening word for word without variation, it can become just as mundane as the working day he has just finished. In worse cases, it can even come across as insincere or even lazy, which is the last thing you want.
Whether you live together or just talking or texting over the phone, it is essential to let your boyfriend know that you are interested in his daily life. It can be surprisingly difficult to show him your support in fresh and exciting ways during everyday life. However, if you can manage it, asking him how his day was can be a great way to provide him with an opportunity to open up to you. Asking your boyfriend the right questions may even teach you things about him that you never knew before!Asking your boyfriend, 'How was your day?' signals to him that you are interested in his life. Click To Tweet
Cute and caring ways to ask, “How was your day?”
Your boyfriend may be working a job, studying for a qualification, or even both. Whatever the case, he has most likely faced at least some difficulty on any given day. There is nothing more soothing than receiving care and attention from our partners.
In some cases, you might be able to help him to de-stress from a long day. Different guys like to blow off steam in different ways—for some, a wild night out is the best remedy for stress, while for others, a quiet night in cuddled up to you on the sofa while watching Netflix will be perfect.
Some of these open-ended questions are great at helping you learn exactly how your guy likes to relax, and can even end up giving you some great date night ideas. In situations where you might not be able to help him yourself (you may well have had an exhausting day too!), some of these cute and caring questions allow him to vent and open up to you in ways he might not feel able to as much with others.
- What did you spend most of your time thinking about today?
- Did you feel valued today?
- Was there anything that you found very challenging today?
- How do you think I can help you relax after a long day?
- How are you really feeling today?
- What was the best thing that happened to you today?
- Are you satisfied in general with how your day went?
- What can we do to help each other for the rest of this week?
- Is anything causing you particular stress at work lately?
- Is there anything that you feel like you need help with?
- Did you have any unexpected victories today?
- Did your day exhaust you or energize you?
Small talk about his day
Small talk is often criticized, but it actually fulfills an incredibly useful role. While these next questions aren’t as “deep” or probing as other questions, they provide simple and effective alternatives to “How was your day?” and can be used in many situations.
Small talk allows you to get the basic facts about your partner’s day, although it can also lead to more in-depth conversations. While not every question here applies to every job out there, they can be tweaked a little to fit your boyfriend’s specific occupation.
- Did you have any problematic clients, customers, or coworkers today?
- Did you have a relaxing lunch break today?
- Did you get any good news today?
- Did you listen to any good music today?
- Did you meet any interesting new people at work today?
- Did you go anywhere new today or stay in the usual place?
- Were you bored a lot today?
- Do you feel like today was productive overall?
- Did you find anything especially distracting today?
- Did anything unexpected happen today?
- Did you receive any compliments or positive feedback on your work today?
- Did you get on well with your coworkers and your boss today?
Funny ways to ask, “How was your day?”
We don’t always want to answer serious questions as soon as we get home from work. Sometimes your boyfriend will just want some more light-hearted conversation after a difficult day. After all, we come to our partners for humor, distraction, and emotional support!
They say that laughter is the best medicine. If you really want to give your boyfriend a laugh, these questions can lead to some humorous banter that shows him you are fun to be around. On the other hand, if his coworkers or clients have really been testing his patience, some of these questions can really let him vent to you. Once he has opened up, you can laugh about it together. Knowing that your partner is on your side is extremely important in a relationship!
- What superpower could have helped you out the most today?
- If you could have told anyone today what you really think without consequences, who would it have been, and what would you have said?
- Do you have any interesting gossip to share with me from today?
- Did you have to try not to laugh at any point today?
- Did you have any awkward moments or misunderstandings today?
- If they filmed your day for an episode of The Office, when would you have looked at the camera with that “get me out of here” face?
- Did you see anything funny online today?
- Which of your coworkers would you least like to be locked in a room with all day?
- How many times did you fantasize about quitting your job today?
- If today was a color, what would it be and why?
- Which memory of today would you like to forget about the fastest?
Flirty ways to ask, “How was your day?”
Adulthood comes with plenty of responsibilities, but thankfully it has its perks too! Flirting with your boyfriend can be a great way of helping him forget the stresses and obligations of adult life.
Besides humor, suggestive teasing is a highly-effective distraction from the daily grind (no pun intended!). Not to mention, your own mind might be racing with steamy thoughts when your boyfriend comes home still in uniform.
It’s incredible how quickly the worries can disappear from a man’s mind when he opens a cheeky text message or has something naughty whispered in his ear!
- What was one thing that you missed most about me today?
- Did you fantasize about me at all today?
- What did you picture doing with me after you finished work today?
- If you had received a dirty message from me while you were at work today, what would have been your reaction?
- How quickly could you get to mine and back during your lunch break?
- If I saw you in “work mode,” would you seem different to me, and do you think it would turn me on?
- If you had called in sick today and stayed with me, would you have had more fun than you did?
- How easily could I convince you to call in sick tomorrow?
- Does coming home to me make everything that happened today worth it?
- Has work drained all of your energy, or do you still have some left for me?
- Do you think the best part of your day has already happened or is it yet to come this evening?
Conversation starters about his day
It is well-known that communication is essential for a healthy relationship. It is crucial for both partners to feel heard and listened to by the other. However, communication is not just limited to asking a certain number of questions—asking the right kind of questions is just as vital!
The most provocative questions are not just about the answers; they are ways of starting engaging conversations between the two of you. These questions can really help you learn about your man’s inner emotional world rather than just the routine events of his day.
- What was the most interesting conversation you had with someone today?
- Did anything that happened today make you excited for tomorrow?
- If you could live today over again, would you do that?
- Did you read any interesting articles or news stories today?
- Did you learn anything new today?
- Did you feel engaged by your tasks today?
- Did you do anything today that you want to do again in the future?
- Did you make any critical breakthroughs on anything today?
- What do you think you will remember about today?
- What are you most proud of accomplishing today?
- Did you help anybody today?
- Did anything that happened inspire you today?
- Do you regret anything that you did today?
- If you could change one thing about today, what would it be?
- If you had to rate your day out of 10, what would you give it and why?
“Checking up” questions to ask during the day
You don’t have to wait until your partner has finished work to contact him. Most couples send at least a couple of messages to each other before the end of the working day to remind each other that they are thinking of them. Sometimes these messages are as simple as “How has your day been so far?” but other times, they can be more engaging!
If you want to check up on how your boyfriend is doing, whether he is on his lunch break or during a quiet moment, these questions are a great way of making him smile. You can even give him something to look forward to helping him get through the rest of the day!
- Where would you rather be right now than where you are?
- What are you looking forward to most about finishing work today?
- What would be your ideal thing to come back home to tonight?
- What is one thing that would make your day the best day ever?
- How’s your day going so far?
- Is today going more quickly or slowly than it usually does?
- What do you have for lunch today, and are you looking forward to it?
- Who or what is annoying you the most today?
- Do you have any plans for after work?
- Do you want any plans for after work?
- Do you want to hang out with me later?
There are many different ways to ask the man in your life how his day was. You don’t have to pressure yourself to come up with something completely original every single day. Still, it is always good for your relationship to vary things a bit. Asking the right questions can show your boyfriend that you care, help him to open up and unwind after a long day, and lead to a meaningful conversation.